Terms of Reference
National Committee for Standards in SpLD Assessment, Training and Practice
Terms of Reference
This steering committee is a standard-setting group concerned with the diagnostic assessment of specific learning difficulties in an educational setting. The authority for this committee and its remit stem from the SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines. The committee seeks to extend the principles of good practice contained in the Guidelines across all age ranges and throughout the profession.
Purpose and responsibilities
- implement the training recommendations of the SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines
- promote and monitor standards of SpLD assessor training relating to all age ranges
- promote continuing professional development in SpLD assessment
- advise on models of good practice in this continuing professional development
- monitor standards of this continuing professional development
- provide a forum for sharing good practice from a range of interested bodies
- draw on expertise across the sector
- provide guidance on training, implementation of standards
- oversee and approve processes of awarding SpLD Assessment Practising Certificates
- maintain list of approved evaluators for APL/APE applications
- provide training for evaluators
- approve courses as meeting standards of SpLD assessor training
Membership consists of individuals representing organisations with national roles in promoting standards in SpLD assessment, support and teacher training.
Members will have relevant experience in SpLD assessment, support and/or teacher training.
The committee members will serve for a fixed term of 4 years. Standing members can be re-selected.
Membership and proceedings of the committee will be made publicly available via the internet.
The committee will meet a minimum of 3 times a year, November, January and April to approve accreditations.
Other meetings will be convened as required to address other committee responsibilities.