Headlines headlines
View news itemSASC Survey Invitation
SASC is conducting a survey of stakeholders to inform a review of the activities and ...
View news itemADHD Guidance Issued
SASC issues guidance for assessment of ADHD.
View news itemUpdated Test Guidance issued September 2013
Updated Test Guidance issued September 2013, see SpLD Assessment page.
View news itemWoodcock-Reading Mastery Tests: 3rd Edition
Woodcock-Reading Mastery Tests: 3rd Edition (WRMT-III). Pearson. 5-75+ years STEC approve the revised edition of ...
View news itemPsychologists' changing registrations - HCPC Role
Psychologists supplying diagnostic assessments for DSA should now hold a Health Care Professions Council registration. ...

SASC news feed SASC news feed


Students Applying for Disabled Student Allowances

If you are dyslexic or have other specific learning difficulties you may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowances [DSA] to help you with extra study related costs. To apply you will need to supply evidence of your disability.

Evidence of dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties 

You need to provide a full diagnostic report written after you were 16 from a qualified assessor who holds a current practising certificate from their relevant professional body:

  • A chartered or practitioner psychologist registered with the HCPC
  • A specialist teacher assessor holding a current SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate.

The report should use the format and tests recommended in the SpLDs Working Group’s Guidelines.

What to do next

Contact your school, or the Disability Advisor at your university or college may be able to help arrange this.


Contact one of the organisations below.

The Health Care Professions Council [HCPC] for psychologists HCPC website

The following organisations issue Assessment Practising Certificates to specialist teacher assessors and have lists of qualified assessors:

Dyslexia Action: Dyslexia Action email

Patoss: Patoss email

British Dyslexia Association: BDA email

You will need to pay for your diagnostic report.

More information on Disabled Students’ Allowances can be found on Student Finance England website .

To check if a Specialist Teacher Assessor holds a current

Assessment Practising Certificate see the listing on the

SASC website.  Assessors Page

Page Links

Modified: 04/03/2014