– A Guide for consistency across issuing bodies who evaluate Assessment Practising Certificates renewal applications
The APC renewal process offers an opportunity both for individual professional development through feedback on assessment reports and for issuing bodies to support the overall aim of the APC scheme to improve assessment practice standards.
Renewal of an APC depends upon successful completion of a CPD log and production of an effective assessment report. Defining "effective” can be problematic and current guidance is very broad. We believe it is important that all bodies who undertake to review APC applications apply a consistent standard and adopt a consistent policy in their response. Therefore, we propose the following brief structure and feedback process as a framework for all issuing bodies to adopt.
Important Note: Underlying all these guidelines would be the experience and professionalism of those undertaking the reviews. Reviews must be holistic and consider the overall aim of the APC to approve high-quality assessment reports alongside offering positive support to professional colleagues.
The structure sets out the following:
· A description of the standard for all “effective” assessment reports.
· A hierarchical structure for analysis of errors / weaknesses
· A structured process for response / feedback
Effective assessment reports should demonstrate:
· understanding of the nature of SpLD
· understanding of affective issues in learners with SpLD
· ability to collect a range of evidence from a variety of sources
· understanding of theory and application of psychometric and educational testing
· ability to select appropriate assessment materials, administer tests correctly and interpret resulting data accurately
· ability to produce professional, accurate reports written in language easily accessible to non-specialists, with due regard to building a positive framework.
· ability to make recommendations directly linked to assessment findings and subjects needs
· understanding and application of current legal and professional issues, rules and regulations relating to SpLD
See Practising Certificates page on this website for full details.